Gazebo at Dunsmuir House

Photo Courtesy of Dunsmuir Historic Estate
Gazebo at Dunsmuir House
Watercolor, 11"x14"

Last week's plein-air setting was the Dunsmuir House and gardens in Oakland. Even though I'd grown up in East Oakland, this was the first time I had been to see this beautiful estate since it hasn't been open to the public until fairly recently. The house, I should say mansion, is spectacular, and the grounds are just beautiful. You can almost imagine how it may have been 100 years ago if you can manage to block out the sound of the 580 freeway just over the hill. While we were there, friendly ducks came looking for handouts, and a flock of wild turkeys strolled leisurely through. I even spotted three deer. I chose to paint the gazebo, thinking it would be easier than tackling the mansion. Well, it might have been easier, but it wasn't easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamber of Commerce Award (Woo Hoo!) at ECAA Show

Happy End to 2009!