Plein Air at Annie's Annuals



Today was a plein air day. I met up with some other members of the El Cerrito Art Assn. at a garden nursery in San Pablo called Annie's Annuals. Tho I'd driven by before, today was the first time I actually went in and was hugely rewarded for my efforts. Just tons of plants to look at and buy, but what I liked most was the planted areas. If only I could transform my square of dirt that I generously call my yard into something like these. I painted for a couple hours in my sketch book. Then went searching for some plants.
Although there are literally thousands of plants and flowers to choose from, I eventually narrowed my purchases down to 4 or 5. My criteria are tough: must be able to withstand drought conditions (cuz you won't get much water from me); be able to survive severe to total neglect; have a natural repellant that discourages weeds, snails, slugs, and hopefully raccoons; and ideally, be self-pruning and gorgeous. I know, I demand a lot. But there are a few things in the yard that have survived, like nasturtiums, those amaryllis called Naked Ladies, and the aforementioned weeds. And I have an old-fashioned styled fuschia in front that's probably been there 50 years. So we'll see what happens. I forget what I bought, but one is a sweetpea for a planter. I know that's risky. Most of my stuff in the backporch planters doesn't survive when I take off for Brazil, good help being hard to find. We shall see what truly deserves a spot in my yard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chamber of Commerce Award (Woo Hoo!) at ECAA Show

Happy End to 2009!