Watercolor, Auntie M's House, Grass Valley

I visited my younger (and only) sister over the weekend in Grass Valley. She has a green thumb, although she tries to deny it; but she actually waters and feeds her plants. The weather was balmy, which I fully appreciated, coming from the gray, overcast Bay Area.

Holiday traffic meant I arrived late, then had to leave early the following day, so I didn't get any painting time in. I wanted to do a watercolor plein air sketch of her house, but had to settle for taking a few snapshots to work from once I got back home. I think I figured out how to deal with the problem I've been having with the sketchbook paper. Unsized paper soaks up water and watercolor pigment like a sponge, so no blending on the paper, or lifting color out is possible. So I painted on a thin layer of acrylic medium first, then let it dry. This slightly sealed the paper's surface, and let the paint slide on. Now that I have just one page left in this sketchbook, I've solved the problem!

Comments

  1. It's never too late. You've got some beautiful watercolors on your blog here. Well done. Mercer is a very cute kitty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, and yes, Mercer is a very good boy, especially considering the indignities he has to suffer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note, it's nice to know you're out there!

Popular posts from this blog

Chamber of Commerce Award (Woo Hoo!) at ECAA Show

Happy End to 2009!