Watercolor Sketch Abandoned Building in Bahia


There's a neighborhood in the old part of Bahia called "2 de Julho". It's old and funky and has a lot of falling down buildings, some inhabited and some not. I finally found a small art supply store here that carries a few watercolor items, like Cotman watercolors. But also some Maimeri. The small supply of Canson paper is ridiculously expensive, and there's a limited selection of poor quality brushes. Everything is imported, so the cost is quite prohibitive for the average Brasilian. I still haven't found any other watercolorists here, and the owners of the store couldn't refer me to any clubs or organizations.

So after I bought a few tubes of paint, I wandered down a sidestreet and stopped to do a quickdraw of this old building. The windows are all bricked up, there's no telling how long since it's been lived in. Sad to see all these once-beautiful old mansions. But I can't get carried away feeling bad that there's no one with the desire and/or money to rescue them; it doesn't appear there's much desire and/or money to rescue the inhabitants either. If I ruled the world, I'd fix both.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note, it's nice to know you're out there!

Popular posts from this blog

Chamber of Commerce Award (Woo Hoo!) at ECAA Show

Happy End to 2009!